I am so glad it is Friday.Thanks so much for all the great comments, tweets and emails regarding how much you like the lunchbox series. I am definitely going to continue it for a while longer (see here for background).
Today I had to be up extra early to go to the DMV to renew my driver’s license, so I used mostly plastic to make my lunch bag lighter. Here are lunch and two snacks:
- Leftover gluten-free vegan gnocchi from Cafe Green (I managed to go a whole month without ordering these again)
- A slice of Food for Life Brown Rice Bread (we are out of their brown rice tortillas) topped with Averie’s Spicy Doritos dip, which has hemp seeds and nutritional yeast. I tend to rarely eat gluten-free bread, but when I do I don’t mind this one, as it makes good toast. I actually toasted it twice before spreading the dip on it:
- Steamed broccoli
- Cut up carrots, celery and red peppers
- Super thick green smoothie.
I made two green smoothies last night because I knew I would have to be up really early this morning. I do not like to make smoothies at night for the next day because I prefer them freshly made and I dislike how smoothies can separate when they sit. To counter against the separation issue, I use a thicker non-dairy milk (either hemp milk or So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage), add extra chia seeds and skip water. The smoothies were thick and cold this morning with no separation issues. I had one for breakfast and the other is the one in the picture, which will be by mid morning snack. The only downside to this smoothie is that it was very very green – the banana and stevia (from the Sun Warrior powder) are usually enough for me to find them not too green, but this smoothie was like drinking straight greens. It was like I had not added banana. I think it was because of the red kale. Do you have any suggestions for add-ins?
Very Thick and Very Green Green Smoothie
Makes 2 16oz smoothies
- 2 cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 Tbsps chia seeds
- 1 scoop Vanilla Sun Warrior
- 3 cups collard leaves
- 1 cup Red Russian Kale
- 1 large banana, frozen (I freeze bananas in large chunks)
- 4 ice cubes
General Disclosures & Disclaimers