Happy Wednesday! Today’s lunchbox:
- Quinoa-black bean-grilled chicken salad. See below for ingredients.
- Kale salad (massaged with just extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt) with half a lemon. I used both lacinato/dinosaur kale and curly kale in this salad.
- Hummus, packed in the jar it is stored in as I was too short on time to put it in a smaller container.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers Sticks and Twigs
Technically, this is enough food to be lunch and two snacks, even though it looks more like lunch and one snack. I will probably eat the kale salad for lunch with some of the quinoa-black bean-chicken salad, and have hummus and the sticks for one snack, and the last of the quinoa salad for the second snack.
Here are the ingredients for the quinoa-black bean-chicken salad:
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup black beans, cooked with onions, garlic and a bay leaf
- 3oz grilled chicken, shredded (we are lucky to find grass-fed organic chicken at the farmer’s market)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped scallions
- 2 Tbsps of vinegary spicy garlicky sauce. We made this recipe for Garlicky Red Chili Hot Sauce last weekend, but substituted apple cider vinegar for the distilled vinegar, and used a combination of red jalapenos and red cherry bomb peppers instead of the habañeros. The result was a vinegary hot salsa rather than a habañero-based hot sauce and works well to perk up quinoa and black beans (which I had for dinner last night as well).
The above combination of flavors would work beautifully with some sliced avocado as well. Note that the recipe can also be made vegan by omitting the chicken and adding either some grilled tempeh or additional black beans. If you omit the chicken, I would definitely add the avocado to the salad.
Have a great day!
PS – if you are curious about why I started the lunchbox series, click here. Initially it was going to be a for just a week but now I am on week 3 and planning to do a lunchbox for workdays until the end of September. I am debating continuing the series indefinitely, but would welcome ideas for ways to make it less monotonous.
General Disclosures & Disclaimers