I just got back from my trip to Switzerland visiting my parents, so I thought today’s lunchbox should be a travel one. This was the
sack of food selection I took with me last week to travel to Switzerland from Washington, DC. I left at 1pm and amidst the hectic packing had just had a large batch of green smoothies and some snacking that morning. Also, if there is something I have learned from years of flying, it is that when I feel like snacking, it is better that I snack as it keeps my stomach settled, even if at times I might be out of boredom. The other things I have learned are that it is better to have a bit more carbs as opposed to in my everyday lunchboxes, generally plan hearty offerings (i.e. lots of carbs, protein and healthy fats) and also pack lots of extras. I invariably never finish my travel lunchboxes, but better that than go hungry, especially seeing as my request for a gluten-free dairy-free meal was a spectacular fail. To be fair the gluten-free meal was perfectly gluten-free as far as I could tell, but I still could not eat it because it was very cheesy.
I know there is some glare in these picures on account of the ziplocs, but I still went ahead and posted them. This
sack of food lunchbox was designed to be a late lunch, dinner, snacks for the overnight flight and breakfast prior to landing.
I brought sandwiches as my two main meals:
- Sandwich of baked tempeh (tempeh cubes baked with apple cider vinegar, tamari and agave), hummus and Food for Life Brown Rice Bread (twice-toasted prior to assembling the sandwich) with miso-walnut paste from this recipe.
- Sandwich of baked tempeh , hummus and tomato paste, on Food for Life Brown Rice Bread (twice-toasted).
- Gingersnap Lara Bar
- Cashew Cookie Lara Bar
- Lots of celery sticks
- Artisana raw nut butter pouches in Cacao Bliss, Coconut Butter, Almond and Walnut. I got these as samples at GreenFest which I am realizing I have not yet blogged about. I promise to do soon. Also, I packed these in my liquids ziploc as opposed to with the rest of the food.
- A ziploc of raw cashews
- A ziploc of raw multiseed crackers using this recipe which had been inspired by this recipe (I think next time I will use half ground flax and half whole flax).
- A ziploc containing 1/2 cup oats and 2 Tbsps chia seeds for overnight oats for breakfast (I promise to post separately on how I made vegan overnight oats on the plane).
- A banana for overnight oats
- Vega Shake & Go Choc-a-lot for the overnight oats and also if I wanted additional snacking for the trip or during my vacation
The ziplocs containing the crackers and oatmeal-chia combination were packed in a ziploc container which was also intended for the overnight oats. Here are all the lunchbox contents save the nut butters which were packed separately in the liquids ziploc.
I ended up eating all the celery, the two sandwiches, the crackers, two Artisana butters (Walnut and Cacao Bliss) and the overnight oats (including the banana). I did not get to the Lara Bars or the cashews though.
And with that, I am off to try to stay awake longer so I do not fall asleep too early and wake up too early.
General Disclosures & Disclaimers