Today’s lunchbox is all about comfort food for me:
- Tofu scramble, based on Gena’s recipe – I like her recipe as it is very comforting and flavorful.
- Salt and vinegar kale chips (dehydrated instead of roasted, but otherwise the exact recipe) – I used Tuscan kale this time, which is why the shape looks so different in the picture.
- Another iteration of the Mexican Chocolate Mousse concept I have been mulling and trying – it contains raw cacao, avocado, stevia, roasted sweet potato and spices.
I finally got around to doing food allergy testing recently and, as I suspected, I am mildly intolerant to eggs – oddly, only egg whites – but I actually am tolerant to soy. I ascribe that to the fact I did not eat it for years and now eat it (mostly) sparingly. I feel like the jury is still out on the benefits versus problems of soy consumption. Personally, I focus on non-GMO, non-industrially processed/texturized soy, so I eat miso, tamari, tempeh and tofu and, despite my love for all four, do not eat it all the time. So I decided to celebrate by making a tofu scramble this week. The other two foods to which I am mildly intolerant (that I care about) are flax seeds and chickpeas. And you know how much I love my chickpeas. My ND thinks that since I eat both foods a lot, it might be more of a short-term sensitivity so I hope to be able to add them back in in a couple of months. Regarding eggs, though, I am glad I can have the occasional tofu scramble Regarding food allergies, I only lend so much weight to allergy testing versus an elimination diet, but it was useful to have more information, particularly regarding chemicals and molds I react to as well as foods.
On other news:
- Be sure to check out Shirley’s review and giveaway of Nutiva products over at Gluten Free Easily.
- Anne has another great 5-minute packable lunch idea using smoked salmon – it can easily be made gluten-free by swapping the pita for a brown rice tortilla and is dairy-free if you leave out the feta.
- Today the lovely Carrie is hosting the Breakfast and Brunch intallment of Gluten-Free Holiday. Do stop by – Carrie’s blog is lovely, the recipes submitted look scrumptious and there are cookbooks up for giveaway. My recipe is the Vegan Pumpkin Yogurt Parfait I posted this morning which is also gluten-free and soy-free!
General Disclosures & Disclaimers