I have not been cooking many new things lately. Or rather I have, but nothing I have adapted or tweaked enough to call my own, much less created. Work has been stressful and I have felt kind of meh. This morning I was thinking how I just wanted there to be a flood of summer light in the apartment, rather than the gray winter sun (which, admittedly has brightened up quite a bit as the sky is now a beautiful blue) and I was thinking about the picture above, which I took last July, as well as some other pictures.
And then it occurred to me that a bright pink hat was the perfect antidote to the winter blues. After all, it is March today, which means Spring is just around the corner. That just cheered me up a whole lot. Really, sometimes you just need a pink hat.
Pink-Topped Carob Smoothie (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Soy-Free, Nut-Free)
Makes 1 cheerful smoothie
For the pink topping:
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of your choice (I like Sunwarrior but it contains stevia, so be sure to adjust the additional stevia accordingly)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 heaping tablespoon carob
- 1 cup mild greens of your choice (I used tiny tender kale, but spinach would be more flavor neutral)
- 4-8 drops chocolate flavored stevia (use 4 if your protein powder contains stevia)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Ice (optional)
Make the pink topping by blending the raspberries and almond milk just enough to get a slightly slushy texture. Pour out the topping into a bowl and set aside. There is no need to wash the blender. Add the rest of your ingredients and blend until smooth, adding ice if you like. Pour smoothie into a tall glass, leaving about an inch of room at the top. Pour pink topping and enjoy immediately.
I am linking this post to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday and Linda’s Gluten-Free Wednesday at the Gluten-Free Homemaker.
Chat with me on Twitter or Facebook.
Subscribe via RSS or email.
General Disclosures & Disclaimers