And just like that, it is 2013. Happy New Year! I have a couple of 2012 recap posts coming up in the next few days (long-time readers know I ease into the New Year) as well as some resolutions. I did want to stop by and check in regarding my goals for the December Sanity Challenge, which could be best summarized as Sleep, Move, Dance, Stretch.
Overall, I was pleased with the outcome. Some highlights:
1. Sleep – I got at least 7 hours of sleep about 2/3 of this month, probably a bit more. I do feel better rested than I did going into December, which I am taking as a good sign. I think this is one thing where being a bit competitive with making sure one gets sleep can pay off.
2. Movement – I did some amount of movement 6 times a week every week in December, except one week mid-month where I think it was only 5 times. Overall, though, I am still really pleased. I also made it to DanceTrance 8 times this month, and to 11 vinyasa flow classes, with the balance of the workouts being gym workouts. Considering that this was on a month where I travelled for work, had family visiting, and included holidays, I would call that a win. I have come a long way since my Tuesday night promise and improving my movement routine generally.
3. Yoga – My December goal was a total of 12 yoga classes, including flow classes, restorative and yin. I made it to 11 flow classes, 2 restorative classes, and no yin. So again, overall, I am happy. I did also find that stretching at least 3 minutes after cardio workouts really helped. Despite the weather getting colder and colder, I feel limber than I usually do.
So to summarize, sleep, move, dance, stretch was a success. Staying sane and not stressed out was … less of a success. Comparatively though, keep the above goals in mind did help with my general stress levels. Next year, though, I will make the December Sanity Challenge include something more specific about reducing stress. Also, speaking of being competitive about making sure I get enough sleep, I am off to do just that. Happy 2013!!
This year’s Sanity Challenge was co-hosted by the following bloggers, including our inspiration for self-care, Cheryl of Gluten-Free Goodness:
- Dec 1st – Me! Valerie of City|Life|Eats
- Dec 8th — Kate of Eat, Recycle, Repeat
- Dec 15th — Cheryl of Gluten-free Goodness
- Dec 22nd — Iris of Daily Dietribe
- Dec 29th — Carrie of Ginger Lemon Girl
All my posts addressing various self-care and stress-related items this month:
- Sleep, Move, Dance, Stretch
- On Self-Care and Compartmentalizing
- Dancing as Stress Relief
- On avoiding shame and guilt around New Year’s
- A few more thoughts on guilt, and some delicious cupcakes
Other posts in this year’s Sanity retreat:
- Intro Post for the Dec Sanity Retreat at Gluten Free Goodness
- Ginger Lemon Girl’s A Peaceful Holiday Season
- Join the December Sanity Challenge here at The Daily Dietribe
- Kickoff Post at Gluten Free Goodness
- Kate of Eat, Recycle Repeat Shares her Do’s of the Season
- Zen of Candy Cane Marshmallows at Gluten Free Goodness
- Chacha’s gluten-free kitchen Sanity Goals and German Chocolate Bites
- “Being Gentle" at Gluten Free Goodness
- December Merriment at Yoga Twist on Life
- Self-Care at Healthy Happy Vibrant
- Preciousness of Our Moments here at The Daily Dietribe
- Gluten Free Goodness Takes "A Pause”
- Embracing the Here and Now with Love at The Canary Files
- Change your Story by Iris of The Daily Dietribe
- 7 Goals for Staying Sane During December shared on The Daily Dietribe
- Sanity Goals Update from Cheryl of Gluten-Free Goodness
- A Sanity Challenge Update from Carrie of Gingerlemongirl